Running for the Rest of Us. Brought to You by Northwest Runner Magazine

Running for the Rest of Us. Brought to You by Northwest Runner Magazine

Monday, October 1, 2012

Welcome to Fall. Give me Money.


Fall Colors Breaking Out in the Cascades
Fall!
There is a brief window each fall when the days are still long and warm, the kids are back in school, and my pesky little job teaching young writers hasn’t yet started up for the year.

Setting aside the fact that I happen to love back-to-school shopping (office supplies and new jeans for everyone!), fall is simply the best.

Let’s start with the fact that in the Northwest there is no better weather than in September and October. It’s not exactly sunbathing and headed down to the old swimmin’ hole weather, but for running the cool mornings and warm dry afternoons are perfect because it lets me use more of my unnecessarily complex running wardrobe. Early morning runs require a lightweight windbreaker (of which I own three, in different colors and in three slightly different styles). In the afternoon I can decide between sleeveless, short sleeved, or lightweight long sleeve depending on temperature (and mood).

And the marginally maintained school bus pulling away from the corner in a cloud of diesel smoke means the kids are off the streets, off the trails, and out of the corner booth at my favorite coffee shop. No more getting run down by mountain bikers in Mad Max armor. On the first day of school, I ventured out to the Real Running Super Secret Trail Running Test Grounds, which are somehow always crowded with people despite being super secret. I made my way around my usual 4 mile loop twice before seeing another soul, and that was the park ranger, who was wandering around the woods befuddled by the lack of teenagers smoking and making out on the picnic tables. It was perfectly awesome.

Fall also gives me a chance to dig into the bucket of running gadgets I have stashed under my desk. Reflective bands, blinky lights, headlamps, running packs (to carry the other assorted gadgets I might need). It’s an accessory hound’s dream!

It’s fleeting, though. In a few weeks fall will give up and winter will take over. If you’re looking to mark it on your calendar, it’s the day before the Seattle Marathon.

Race Season
Speaking of the Seattle 26.2 mile foot race, marathon “season” is upon us. The usual suspects in Portland and Seattle are coming up soon, and if you haven’t started training yet, you might want to get started. I usually run in at least one of the major local races each year, but this year I’m on a small race kick. This year I’m on the lookout for any race in a town I’ve heard of but never been to, any race for a cause that is only marginally a cause, and any race that has a distance with a “plus or minus” after it. So come on North Yelm Approximate Marathon Distance Running Race for Feline Depression! I’ll buy that t-shirt.

Whatever your pleasure, do yourself a favor and sign up for at least one fall race. The calendar is jammed, and as the weather turns you’re going to need something to get you out of the house and log your miles.

Listenings
Yes, I’m that guy who is always running with headphones on. But despite my rock and roll exterior, I’m not always listening to . Am I the only one who is listening to old podcasts of “Car Talk” while I run? Honestly, the podcast has revolutionized my training. I don’t need two and a half minute bursts of energy from . I need forty-five minutes of distraction from pain and suffering. As a bonus, I get my training done and sometimes I learn a little something about colors, or pain, or fetal maturation. Thanks Radiolab!

Best Column Money Can Buy
Last night we watched the Morgan Spurlock documentary “The Greatest Movie Ever Sold,” the premise of which is the effect of product placement and overt advertising on filmmaking. This got me to thinking about how to continue to fund the ever-expanding budget of Real Running. What I need are some sponsors.

How easy it would be to casually mention my BRAND NAME shoes or the refreshing flavor of BRAND NAME hydration right here in this column! I could go on about my great BRAND NAME watches, or BRAND NAME compression shorts.

Heck, I’ll even promote products that have nothing to do with running. For the right price. And the right price is free stuff. Ahem. I know someone who works for someone who sells, promotes, manufactures, or distributes running products is reading this.

Tweet
It took me a while, but it happened. I’m on Twitter. Follow me @GregVanBelle. I’ll even promote your product there. You know, for the right price. See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments!